Sinkhole Repair and Rehabilitation in Charlotte, NC
Federal EC is an experienced value-engineering team with an extensive background in utility projects and sinkhole repair and rehabilitation in Charlotte, NC. As a trusted partner in business, municipal, and government rehabilitation projects, we’ve participated in numerous sinkhole remediation projects that were caused by failed piping.
Sinkholes are depressions or holes in the surface that appear due to a surface-sediment collapse. Cover-subsidence sinkholes appear when subsurface water wears away supporting rock, allowing the soil to fall in. Cover-collapse sinkholes are the most dangerous. Flooding, storms, or compromised sewer lines can remove subsurface material, creating voids several feet deep within minutes.
The main objective of sinkhole repair is to make sure that the soil doesn’t move in the future and to remove or remedy the cause. Sinkholes in populated areas are frequently due to infrastructure work. Broken or collapsed underground pipes or tanks or improperly compacted soil following excavation work are typical causes. Damaged or eroded sewer pipes can saturate surrounding soil with wastewater or allow the soil to enter pipes, creating voids.
Common signs of sinkholes include:
- Surface ponding water
- Cracks in the ground or building foundations
- Ground depressions
- Tilted trees or fences
- Jammed doors or windows
- Rapidly appearing holes in the ground
Methods of Sinkhole Repairs
There are various sinkhole repair methods. The materials and methods we implement at Federal EC differ based on the requirements of a large development. Our aim is to stabilize the location and prevent a recurring event.
There are a number of rehabilitation methods that can be used to re-level structures, stabilize soil, increase bearing capacity, and create underpinnings. Here are some of the more common solutions:
- Permeation grouting is also referred to as chemical, pressure, or cement grouting. The process fills voids or cracks in rock or soil and uses flowable grouts to permeate granulated material, cementing a mass. It’s typically used to prevent underground flows, underpin foundations, and stabilize the soil. The advantages of permeation grouting include:
- An economic underpinning alternative
- Applicability to areas that are difficult to access or have limited space
- Minimal disruptions
- Adaptability to the existing terrain
- Compaction grouting is a soil stabilization method that injects grout into the soil and pushes it to the side to build grout columns or bulbs. As these push air or water out of the soil, the ground becomes denser, allowing it to support surface structures. Compaction grouting improves compatible or soft soils, stabilizes and re-levels such existing surface structures as concrete floors or sidewalks, a process that is also known as concrete-lifting or slab-jacking, and stabilizes underground structures and reduces water seepage.
- Cap grouting is often used to cap off bedrock surfaces, preventing further loss of soil into worn-away voids in the bedrock. It uses a grout that’s strong enough to bridge bedrock voids with a thick cap, typically one to two feet thick, that will withstand hydrostatic and soil pressures.
Reach Out to Federal EC
With a track record of industry leading utility and underground solutions, we’re experts in sinkhole repair and rehabilitation in Charlotte, NC. The team at Federal EC is experienced in value engineering and works closely with regional and local businesses, municipalities, and government projects to determine the optimal, purpose-driven plan of action.
Our business practices of safety, ethics, and honesty make us a trusted resource in the Greater Atlanta area and the southeastern region of the United States. Contact our experienced team by calling us or filling out the online form. We serve:
24 HOUR EMERGENCY SERVICE
When you need top-quality pipe inspection and repair services in the greater Atlanta area and Charlotte, North Carolina, don’t think twice about getting in touch with us here at Federal EC. Our pipe specialists would be more than happy to assist you with all of your project requirements. Contact our team today by calling us or filling out the online form. Federal EC serves Atlanta, GA, and Charlotte, NC. We look forward to working with you.